On 9/22/2018 12:18 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
At 12:02 22/09/2018 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
AOO 4.1.5 on desktop WIN10-64. I am trying to insert a hyperlink in Calc spreadsheet. I want to open up a PDF/document file or to display an image file from my local hard drive while working on a Calc spreadsheet file. The Help file says to select Format->Character->Hyperlink tab; but "Character" is greyed out.

What am I doing wrong?

Not much.

o Format | Character... is greyed out if you select a cell or range of cells. To enable it, you have to have the text (or part of it) within the cell(s) selected. Click enough times for this to be the case. But it has no Hyperlink tab.

o The functionality you require seems to have been moved since the help text was written. You will find it at Insert | Hyperlink. Or you can use the Hyperlink toolbar; see View | Toolbars > | Hyperlink bar.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Hi Brian:

Yes, I was successful in using the View | Toolbars> | Hyperlink bar.  TNX.
I have many Calc files in which I will want to add hyperlinks to locally stored document files on C:/ drive, (or perhaps located on a CD-ROM or USB thumb drive), if that is also possible.

I did not get anywhere with Format | Character, for unknown reason, remains grayed out.  I am not clear on your instruction to enable it (Character). Do you mean that I must already have a full URL within the selected cell? For me, my fingers are challenged when typing, e.g., : file:///C:/Users/username/Documents/My%20Bowling/League%20Bowling/2018-19%20FRI%20Senior%20League%20Roster.pdf.

When selecting As Button under the Hyperlink icon on the Hyperlink Bar, at first attempt (yesterday) I was not getting any response by clicking on the button; I saw controls for resizing an object image. But it is now working as expected. :-)

Ciao!
VinceB.