   "Double-click the .dmg file. After verifying the file, the Mac will display
a screen which
   shows OpenOffice.app, then an arrow, then an Applications folder. Drag the
OpenOffice.app
   icon on that screen into the Applications folder icon on that screen."

You moved OpenOffice.dmg into your application folder instead of OpenOffice.app.

Open OpenOffice.dmg. I the window that opens drag the OpenOffice.app icon onto the Application icon. You can them close the window and eject OpenOffice.org.

If you cannot see the file extension names (.org & .app), open Finder. On your menu bar click Finder. Then in the drop down menu click Preferences. Then click on Advanced. Then select "Show all filename extensions".

On 2020-05-26 3:53 p.m., Dan at News Media Services wrote:
  Hi Dave,Thank you for your response.Here is what I did, after reading your
notes:
Quit Open Office by selecting"Quit" in OO menu bar.Ejected OO disk icon that
remained on desktop.Opened the Application Folder located in the Dock on desktop.Selected
and clicked on OO icon in application folder.OO disk icon again appeared on
desktop.Clicked on OO disk icon to start program.OO start bar appeared and loaded on
desktop.OO files opened, as usual.
Everything above is what I go through each time I quit OO.
The disk icon never goes away while OO is open.If I try to eject the OO disk on
the desktop, a message says because OO files are opened, I have to Force Eject.
This would terminate the OO program, until I relaunch it.

     On Tuesday, May 26, 2020, 10:46:17 AM PDT, Dave Fisher