On Sat, 24 Oct 2020, Dan Lewis wrote:

On 10/24/20 16:22, Robert Funnell wrote:
 On Sat, 24 Oct 2020, William Lee Valentine wrote:

 with text in Writer: my documentation for Writer (distinct from that
 provided with OpenOffice) indicates that, when one wants a picture to
 appear in one of Writer's documents, one should click on "Insert >
Picture >   From file", then select the graphic from the listing
 displayed
 for a given directory, then click on "Open", and the graphic will appear
 (at the cursor position?) in the given document.

 This seems straightforward. I do not understand why Mr. Olsson would
 find this disconcerting or difficult.

 Inserting an image is indeed easy. mr. Olsson's concern was that, in a
 large document with a lot of images, the image positions may change in
 seemingly random ways and the images themselves may disappear. This does
 happen.

 In his reply, Martin Groensheij indicates that "the most reliable way
 is to insert [the graphic] in a frame." I assume that the frame helps
 because it fixes the position of the graphic within the document's
 borders.

 Most of my images are in frames because that's a good way to provide
 captions. My experience is that frames move around in the same way aa
 images do, and that frames don't prevent images from disappearing.

 My question is: does Writer's documentation indicate that it is
 preferable to insert graphics within frames?

 If you want captions, I think the answer is yes. If not, I don't know.

 - Robert

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_User_Guide_Chapters

Here is the documentation on how to use Writer and other components of Apache Openoffice. I recommend Chapter 3 of the Getting Started Guide as well as the entire Writer Guide. In the latter, every chapter has a large number of screenshots without the problems that are seen in the OP's original email.

Note how they do this while also learning how it is done.

Dan

I'm afraid I don't understand your meaning. Certainly it helps to read the documentation, but the fact that the documentation contains screenshots that don't show the results of unexpected behaviours (or bugs) doesn't mean that there aren't any unexpected behaviours (or
bugs).

- Robert