On Wed, 2 Dec 2020, Brian Barker wrote:

At 16:43 02/12/2020 +0100, Felmon Davis wrote:
On 02/12/2020 00:42, Kirill Noname wrote:
JUST MAKE BACKUPS ENABLE BY DEFAULT!

[...] and Kirill, you can set it as a default by going to Tools -> Options -> Load/Save -> General; you'll see some options under 'Save'. I do 'Save AutoRecovery' every 15 minutes.

It's perhaps worth distinguishing two things here:

quite right.

o The AutoRecovery information controlled by that option is used only if the editing session is terminated abnormally - as for a power outage or system crash - without current changes having been saved. In that case, an offer to attempt to recover the previous editing session is made next time OpenOffice is started. In normal working, this leaves no trace after changes to the document have been saved or discarded, i.e. no back-up copy.

o Additionally, you will see "Always create a backup copy" in the same group of options. Ticking this ensures that every time you save a document, the previous version is saved in the folder indicated by the Backups path. The use case of this is when you might decide, after saving changes to a document, that you reconsider your changes and wish to abandon them and return to your previous version.

(And neither of these are a replacement for a proper back-up regime, of course.)

very true; I wasn't thinking clearly about 'back-up'.

Auto-Recovery has been enough for my purposes.

sorry to confuse the issue though.

f.

--
Felmon Davis