On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 16:01:59 +0000
Andrew Lunn <andrewlun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have spent many years on writing manuscripts with a view to attracting a
> publishing deal.  I had been using Open Office.  I recently upgraded my pc
> and decided to continue using Open Office so downloaded the new free
> install.  I had already copied over my manuscripts from the old pc to the
> new one via a memory stick.  I opened the document to make an alteration to
> some text in the opening pages of my novel.  I could not believe what I
> saw.  Font sizes were all over the place, some sentences were 12 point,
> some 10 point, sentences chopped at random, bold and italicised text where
> it was not bolded or italicised originally.  And worst of all when I try to
> correct it all it doesn't correct anything.  Fortunately for me, I back up
> all my work and I still have the original copy of my manuscripts on my old
> pc which still has the old Open Office suite I had been using.  How can I
> get my pages back to how they should look on my new pc?
>
> regards,
>
> Andrew

Start by ensuring that the same fonts are installed on new computer as on the
old.  Windows 10, which I assume you are using for want of information,
installs and uses a different font selection to earlier versions of Windows.
From what you say, I think you have used Direct Formatting, rather than Styles,
which is OpenOffice's preferred way to work. Direct formatting often leads to
trouble.

Also, in what format was your document Saved - .doc or .odt?  .doc does not
have the sane format reliability as .odt (OpenOffice's native format).  That
you cannot Save a change to your document is good at present, as it may be in
read-only format due  to missing permissions on your new computer.  Until you
have the document formatted to your liking, do not (repeat: _DO NOT_) Save over
the transferred file; use a different file name.

Many have found this document of assistance:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Writer_for_Students

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>