I don't agree open office calc is pretty much identical to excel, before I
retired the only major difference I found was the number of rows in excel was
much bigger, and even that may have changed in the 10 years since, I never now
need to have millions of rows in a spreadsheet. Even when I did have the need
it was because people were using excel in ways that they should not have done.

On Mon, 3 May 2021, at 14:34, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 13:09 03/05/2021 +0100, Brian Barnard wrote:
> >Subject: Excel equivalent
>
> It is a mistake to think that any software product is the equivalent
> of any other. OpenOffice's spreadsheet function ("Calc") is not
> offered as an equivalent of Microsoft Excel. It would be equally
> unhelpful to approach Microsoft Excel as an equivalent of OpenOffice.
>
> >In your spreadsheet handler ...
>
> Er, it's OpenOffice's, not mine.
>
> >... I recently tried to edit a column of literals (all numeric) but
> >your find and replace would not replace the characters that I
> >entered with the new ones. In the same column were alphabetic
> >literals and I could replace these with no problem.
>
> I cannot reproduce this. If you are handling literals which happen to
> be entirely numeric, you should presumably take care to ensure that
> they are stored in Text and not Number format. This is a matter of
> knowing how to design a spreadsheet and how to enter and save values,
> not about the facilities available. But in any case, I see that Find
> & Replace will process individual digits even in numerical values,
> even toggling values between Number and Text format as necessary. So
> I do not see your difficulty and you may have to be clearer about
> exactly what doesn't work for you.
>
> >As a result of this I have had to buy Office 2019 and uninstall Open Office
>
> Well, you are perfectly entitled to make such a decision - and you
> are welcome to do so. But this is surely not a result of your failure
> to solve your problem in OpenOffice. And if you are happy using
> Microsoft Office, I'm not sure what help you are requesting from the
> OpenOffice Users list. (And you don't have to remove OpenOffice in
> order to install and use Microsoft Office anyway.)
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

Best Regards

Robin