On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 14:39:20 +0700
Russell Watts <russell1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just opened one of my files and was asked to list my first name, my last
> name and my initials then I was asked what language and when I finally got
> into my file there was nothing in there over 6 months of records
> disappeared.
> WHY
> WHERE ARE THEY

Being asked for name/initials when OpenOffice starts up is indicative of an
improper or over hasty power off of a computer, before the OpenOffice
housekeeping information and file image has been properly structured and
written to disk.  Revert to a backup of your file - if a regular important
file, you surely have made backups?

The best method of recovery is set out in

[url=https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038][Tutorial]
 How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files[/url] for detailed instructions
on how to

a) use [b][i]Previous Versions[/i][/b] (W7 and later) to recover previous
versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was
when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which
have since been deleted;

d) find any temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file but which
have not yet been deleted;

e) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and
then deleted.  d) and e) will recover your file as it was when you last opened
or you last saved it.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with more PC skills to help
you.  Act quickly - the longer you wait the more likely any temporary files are
to be deleted.