Also wonder how easy those projects would be if one had spent the big money to buy a Microsoft Office program.

At least with OpenOffice I doubt that a couple years down the road it will still be able to open and work with the files you created this week!

Back when I got started with computers the go to program for home users was Microsoft Works. Pretty easy to use and came free on many machines. Problem is many of the files created with it are no longer able to be opened, did find some places online where you can get them converted but that can be a hassle if you have many of them.

And just wait when Microsoft does the next "upgrade" of windows and you find out the computer you have is not supported! I'm expecting that will hit me soon as I'm still using a 2008 Dell Inspiron. Guess I'm just too old to understand why we need to fill the landfills with new electronic tools every four years!