The best job goes to the person who can get it done without passing the buck or
coming back with excuses. ~~ Napoleon Hill

-----Original Message-----
From: Flaviu Tamas <m...@flaviutamas.com.INVALID>
To: users@openoffice.apache.org
Sent: Thu, Jun 23, 2022 8:21 am
Subject: Re: Winding OpenOffice down

I'm sorry. I didn't think that some people were passionate about
OpenOffice, and obviously that's not true. With that in mind, my
original comment is snarky and non-productive.
******** Thank you for noticing! *********

Peter: I really appreciate your comment here.

> I can only explain my view on this. I am an AOO committer because people
> use AOO.
> So
> for me it is the right thing to continue the project and keep it alive
> as long as people use the software and we people volunteer to work on
> it.

That's very noble, and I can definitely understand that line of
thinking on why to keep contributing.

> And more often then not they are aware on the market, and they
> did decide on Apache OpenOffice.

My prior beliefs make me assume otherwise, but there's no sense in
arguing here without data.

It would be possible to collect this data with a short survey on the
OpenOffice download page, if someone was so inclined.

> Which is a bubble discussion.

It is a bubble, but I believe it is a much larger and more diverse
bubble than here.

> With no relevance or power of solution.

You are of course correct.

>  From my perspective is the only orderly way  a project merge. AFAIK
> there is no interest on LO side to discuss this path. So there is no
> point to follow this up.
>
> If LO Community is willing to talk they know how to start the
> discussion. From my perspective the ball is in their half (as we Germans
> say)

I see. I don't represent the LO community in any way. But I believe
that LibreOffice believes that the ball is in your court, with the
open letter at
https://blog.documentfoundation.org/blog/2020/10/12/open-letter-to-apache-openoffice/.

But I'm also not sure there's any path forward here for a merge, at
least on the code side (my specialty).

Comparing the current Libreoffice code to 2011, where OpenOffice and
Libreoffice split,

134913 files changed, 12818118 insertions(+), 282429 deletions(-)

> I am not in favor in promoting any other specific project like LO as
> long there are active committers. If the move to attic becomes relevant
> again we can discuss this point. But I would favor an open approach that
> enables Users to make their own discussion, then dominate them with a
> predefined decision. But currently I see no need. We getting slowly
> better in fixing stuff and moving forward.

I understand. I'm glad things are getting better for the people who
are using OpenOffice.

To be clear, I'm not stuck on LO specifically. But office suites are
horrifically expensive and complicated to develop, and unfortunately
there's not many open source options on the market.