Yes, there is a way to recover a deleted file on the Mac.

Enter Time Machine, scroll back from Today / Now to the last time the Mac was
backed up before you deleted the file (up to an hour before you deleted it, if
your Mac had been on for a while that session, or the previous time you used
the computer if the file wasn’t backed up during that session), then locate the
file on TM and and open it. If I remember correctly you can then save the file
back to your computer for normal access, but if I’ve missed a step you might
have to read the Help file to get that right, it’s a while since I've needed to
do this.

This assumes that you have set up Time Machine of course. If you haven’t then
you should do so now, so that you are ready for the next time something like
this happens.

I also have a few very important documents backed up to iCloud (i.e. off site),
and I do a manual backup every few months, or after any important changes, and
I keep the manual backup disks in a small fireproof safe (about $200 at
Bunnings if I remember correctly), but TM is my primary backup, it works well,
it keeps backups for a long time back (how long depends on the size of your
backup disk) and it is easy to recover files from it, even if you haven’t done
so for a while and have forgotten how to.

If you are keeping business records etc. you should use TM as your primary
backup, because it backs up every hour (if the place catches fire unmount the
backup disk and grab it and and run, and your backups will be no more than an
hour old, and will be easy to restore on your replacement computer), and you
should also make a daily or weekly manual backup and store it in a safe place
away from the computer, e.g. in a fireproof safe on site, and a have weekly or
monthly backup kept off site (e.g. in a bank safety deposit box), rotating the
backup disks (e.g. portable HDs or SSDs, or USB flash drives), never overwrite
the most recent one, overwrite the one before that, so you don’t lose your most
recent data if you have a copying glitch while backing up, and you always have
two manual backups, the latest and the one before that, in case of a failed
disk.

I’m guessing you probably don’t need that level of backup security, if you did
you’d have it already and wouldn’t be asking how to recover your file, but
every Mac user should at least have Time Machine set up, it is invaluable for
little problems like your file loss and it would be a life-saver if you had a
major data loss.

PCS