On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 11:53:20 -0500
Josephine Pizzino <josephinepizz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using Open Office for over 10 years. Yesterday, however, it
> opened to a window asking me to register. I didn't want to complicate
> things by starting a new account, I clicked on the second option (don't
> remember what it said) and it opened Office but without any of my Recent
> Files, and all the settings for my display had changed. Worse, when I did
> open a file, it seemed EVERY WORD was highlighted.
>
> Then, after working for over 2 hours on a document, which I saved
> periodically, the program froze and I wasn't able to do anything except
> turn off my computer and restart. Fortunately, most of the changes in that
> document were still there, but I have had problems with Open Office
> freezing, although it usually is only that program, and not my entire
> computer.
>
> So, it seems most of these problems occured because I was asked to register
> after all these years. It's also very frustrating to have to hunt and peck
> to reset the way my tools are displayed, and to not have Recent Documents
> available. Finally, it's impossible to read through the document when
> everything is highlighted. Previously, the spell check was essentially
> useless, so I would copy the text elsewhere to check for errors. Now it's
> on hyperdrive!
>
> I hope you can help me. Below is a screenshot of how that document looks.
> This is a time sensitive issue, so I hope you can help me resolve it
> promptly.
>
> Thank you,
> Josephine Pizzino
>
> [image: image.png]

The request for "registration"arises because your OpenOffice installation's
User Profile has been damaged, perhaps because of overhasty close down of the
computer, before the updated profile of the last editing session has been
written to disk.  This can also happen if there is a program or computer crash.
 By not registering again using your old login name OpenOffice was unable to
recover your installation details, including the last edited files.  However
these files are still on the computer, still in the folder in which they were
Saved.  As you use /File /Open within OpenOffice, and navigate to that
folder(s), selecting each file to edit it, it will once more appear in Recent
Documents. If you edit the Default paragraph style and change the language
selection on its Font tab to your desired language, this should change all
styles to use that language and remover he spellcheck highlighting.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>