John Cullum wrote:
When saving a file the box "add file extension"  is always ticked by default. Is there any way to make the default "do not add extension"?

Thank You

John Cullum
Did you try unchecking the box? The change should be kept until again changed.

Note however that if the box is not checked, files will be saved without an extension, which may cause you unexpected problems.