Ok, I'm not a regexp expert but trying out the recommend suggestion
([:space:]?){8} had OOo writer searching and finding all instances
where there was *1* or more consecutive spaces (up to 8).

It found occurances where there was only 4, only 6 etc.... So if this
was used, based on the original question, it would find 8 spaces and
replace with 4, it would then find 1 space and replace with 4... well
at least this is what it did when I tried it.

I may have the wrong end of the stick here, but this is what happened
when I tried it.

Regards,

Paul