Rod Engelsman wrote:

Chris BONDE wrote:

I am not sure what this means?
Are you saying that MySQL is free but not that good, so people use spreadsheets.
Or what.

Chris

MySQL is free. MySQL is a fantastic piece of software. But for the uses that a lot of people want a database, MySQL is like taking an 18-wheeler to get groceries.

Here's the big difference in my eyes between something like MySQL and Access -- and you would have had to use both to realize this:
Install MSO Pro with Access. Go to Start => All Programs => (wherever) => Microsoft Access. You can immediately construct a new database using drag 'n drop, fill-in-the-blank, GUI stuff. You can construct a useful implementation without knowing a damn thing about SQL, OBDC or any of that mess. Those tools are available if you need them, but they aren't necessary to get going.

I'm not a computer noob by any stretch, but the ODBC, client-server DB stuff is one thing I hadn't fooled around with much. So when I decided to try out MySQL with OOo, it took me close to a full day to figure out how to get it all set up. I hear tell it's even worse in Linux -- I don't know. The only way to make it half-way convenient was to set it up as a Windows service, meaning it has to run all the time in the background, whether you're using it that day or not. Otherwise you have to open a DOS window to manually start it up each time, etc.

Another measure: I have a book sitting on my desk called "A Practical Guide to RedHat Linux 8". It's a textbook for a class I'm taking and a pretty decent reference as well. It runs to 1565 pages. The manual for MySQL -- just one program -- is almost 1300 pages long in the pdf file.

My take on it all is this: There's more than one way to skin a cat. Likewise there are many different kinds of cats that need skinning. Not every cat-skinning method is appropriate to every kind of cat. (I know that is a really tortured analogy -- pun intended). But Access and programs like it have a huge following for reasons totally unrelated to the MS hegemony. They're simply the right kind of tool for a large class of needs. MySQL can also fill those needs but it's a lot steeper learning curve and often a fair bit of overkill.

Rod

To Rod and all: What you do not seem to realize is the reason people use Linux is to get away from MSFT and its bugs, so it does mean learning something a bit different.