James Elliott wrote:
I am using VLOOKUP a lot to copy the fields from a "Jobs" spreadsheet, to a "Service Report" spreadsheet. In other words, when I am doing a report, instead of typing in all the customer details, etc, again, as soon as I enter the Job Number in the appropriate cell, most of the remaining cells are filled in by VLOOKUP.

My columns in the Jobs spreadsheet are labelled:
DATE   JOB No.   CUST No.  CUST NAME  TRAVEL  TECH TIME  FREIGHT  etc.

If I use JOB No. as the search criterion, then I can use VLOOKUP to find:
CUST No. in column 2
CUST NAME in column 3
TRAVEL in column 4 .... and so on ...

But ... how do I find the DATE which is in the column to the left of my search matrix?

By the way, it seems that the Search Criterion has to be in column 1 of your search matrix for VLOOKUP to find it, so I can't unclude the DATE column in my matrix.

Many thanks,  James Elliott

This sounds more like you need to use a database, not calc.

--
Robin Laing