That is one option, but only useful if done before pasting or typing data, since OO.o munges the internal representation of the string 'march123' to '01/03/23'. Converting that back to text (by means of changing the format) just gives a numeric value, in this case '11749'.

In my case I'm importing a large CSV into a new sheet, so preformatting isn't an option for me, unfortunately.

thanks,
Greg

Naomi Kramer wrote:
Greg,

Is it an option to format the cells as 'text'?

- Naomi

Here's an interesting one:

If I type the text "march123" into a calc cell, then OO.o insists on converting it to 01/03/23.

How can I tell it that I want my inserted text to remain as a string and not be converted to a date? This is for importing a rather large file of semi-random strings, so I'd rather not have to prepend every entry with a ' character.

thanks,
Greg

-- -- Greg Trounson -------------------------- Analyst Programmer / System Administrator Department of Mathematics and Statistics University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand +64-3-479-7739 -------=[ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]=-------