[top posting]

I can understand Gene's frustration.

When I first tried to register with,
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/Join about Feb 2004 my first attempt
at a username: IanLaurenson was refused. I didn't receive a message
about it already existing or anything else which made sense to me. I
then tried several other random variations, with a similar lack of
success. After emailing for help to webmaster and not getting a
response, about a week later I tried iannz and it worked - so I now have
a "cooler" username but I never did find out why I had so much trouble
registering initially.

The number of registrations for OpenOffice.org to be part of the
community is quite confusing:

There is the optional registering of the software when first run.

There is registering to be able enter Issues etc:
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/Join

There is registering for oooforums:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/profile.phtml?mode=register

There is registering for oooAuthors to be able to work on documentation.
http://oooauthors.org/join_form

There is subscribing to OpenOffice.org mail lists (of which there are a
lot!):
http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html
Plus all the list for individual projects.

And the OpenOffice.org wiki that I hope to have up and running soon will
probably need to be registered for as well.

The purpose of this email is to:
a. Empathise about the issue
b. Say that I can't see an alternative. There are many systems that form
the OOo community, and each system currently requires their own
registration process. Why registering - because it provides some degree
of accountability, e.g. oooforums introduced registering to combat
spammers. What they will do to combat the current b***** who has hacked
into this very useful site I don't know.
c. Try and outline the different places for registering and their
purpose.

Thanks, Ian Laurenson

[snip]