Deborah:

That's a lot of questions!

See some answers inline. I also encourage you to read some of the
documentation on the web site to find out more. We are only volunteers.

You should also subscribe to the list so you can see all the replies.
   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(Be warned, you will get ~50-70 emails a day - those asking for help and
those helping)

Crystle

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 11:32 -0600, Deborah Champlin wrote:
> I'm an exasperated Word user, having bought a "loaded" computer
> online, only to find @ a critical time that it was "Loaded" with
> trials, one of which was my Office 2003.  That trial ended right when
> I started an 8-week project that needed me to be able to use Office
> 2003, and not being willing to pay >$200 for a full version from
> retailers, I'm looking for something that I can use instead.
> Open Office sounds perfect, but I'm wondering several things.  Should
> I download the 1.1.4 version, or go for the BETA and help with its'
> development?

For beginning, I'd stick with 1.1.4. 2.0 Beta should only be for testing
and not if you want to be productive all the time.

> When I choose the version I want to download, then do I need to
> uninstall my Office Suite entirely, or what's recommended ?

You should be able to use them side by side without any problems. They
don't share any program files.

> When I create a document in your equivalent of Word, and send it to my
> boss who is dedicated to Word, will she be able to open and read it
> easily?

You will have to save as a Word or Excel, rather than the OOo native
format. (I recommend saving all in native format and exporting to
MSOffice only when you are sending files).

>   As a consultant in the medical world, I'm going to be creating many
> documents, charts, power point presentations, so need these doc's to
> interface seamlessly with my boss's software when I share them with
> her.  Does your OpenOffice have a power point equivalent?

Yes. Impress. Read up on the manuals, how to's and such to use it to
it's fullest. You will have to test Impress -> PowerPoint conversion as
I think this is the hardest one. (MS does not share their file formats,
so OOo does a best guess - and mostly it is good, but cannot be
perfect.)

> I'm just learning that and need to be able to create presentations as
> well.
> Looking forward to hearing from you soon, because I need to get back
> into full swing with my word-processing tasks, and hate to spend money
> on Office 2003 if I can help promote your product and have something
> superior in the process.  Please respond to my business email:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Regards,
> Deborah Champlin
> Perioperative Consultant
> e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Crystle Numan, B.Sc., Web Developer
Guided Vision: the possibilities are endless
905.528.3095   http://guidedvision.com