Thanks for the suggestions, Matt.  I wasn't having a problem seeing the
Application Data folder, there wasn't an OpenOffice folder within it.  The

computer where I'm running into this is a fairly new Compaq laptop with
nVidia graphics.  I don't think that's the problem.

I'm not getting black blobs on the icons; they become blank grey
buttons.  The buttons are there and showing, but they have no image.  I'm
giving up on this because the developers aren't interested in looking into

it.  I'm going to reinstall OOo 1.1.3 which is not exhibiting this
behavior.