This is slightly tangential to the thread, but apropos to Steve's remark:

Steve C. Thompson wrote

> OOo opens [MS Office files] because smart developers have reverse
> engineered them.
> The companies are actively trying to eliminate this by patenting use of
> XML and by pushing ``trusted computing''. If they prevail, and if
> customers continue to merrily upgrade, programs like OOo will find it
>  harder and harder (if no impossible) to interoperate.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I would go a bit further and support those who
oppose software patents, since software Patents endanger free software. So
called  "trusted computing" trusts only the owners of the "Digital
Rights" --certainly not the *user* of the computer. The computer user is
assumed to be a deliberate violator of these "rights".

Please go to the web site for League for programming Freedom (LPF)
http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/

These folk have opposed user interface copyrights and software patents since
the notions came into being. (UI copyright lawsuits: anyone old enough to
recall Apple v Microsoft, or Xerox v Apple, or Lotus v Brown Bag?)

I'm not sure of the dates, but in the early 80s I read about free software
from a Jerry Pournell article about Richard Stallman and Emacs in BYTE in
the early 80s. The FSF and the LPF came not long after.

We should all be members or at least support the LPF in their opposition to
the idea of the software patent. So doing supports all free software
projects.

Warm Regards
David Teague,
Advocating Free Software and