Predominately page numbers go in the header (if they are to be at the
top). Select insert > header > default.  The default is just the name
of the page style that you want the header to be inserted into...

The it is insert > fields > page number.  This will put the field into
the header. Go to another page and it should increase accordingly.

I feel that I'm missing something. Please advise if this is the case.

Paul