I have had the same problem since I started using Ooo (1.0.1).
It was working ok in 1.1.4, but now I'm using 1.9.84, where it's broken
again!
        By far the easiest solution I've found is to create a new
template.  Start with the default blank Writer document, change the page
and margin settings to match the envelope you need - do not use the
envelope template.  For example, for a standard US # 6 3/4 envelope I
set the page size as H: 3.60 in., W: 6.50 in, 0.10" margins.  This will
work for the basics.  You can also add text and graphic elements to save
with the template if you wish.  You then put the envelope into the
printer tray in the same orientation as you would a standard letter,
regardless of the envelope instructions for your printer.

        If you are using a printer limited to 8.5" width, it gets more
complicated for wider envelopes such as US # 10.  You need to create
your template with width & height reversed, e.g. W: 4.25", H: 9.50",
0.10" margins.  You then use text boxes which can be rotated 90? after
the text has been added.  Graphics can also be rotated to match the
orientation of the page.  Then the envelope can be inserted end-on as
usual and print in the proper orientation.

HTH,
MM