Hello all,
I've been interested in Open Office for some time now. But I'm used to
M$ office. Since Open Office 2 I have decided to give it a place on my
HD. Partly because I like the improved GUI. I hated the old dos style
toolbar icons. Most of the differences I'm sure I will just learn as I
go along.
1. Approximately how compatible are Word <-> OpenOffice docs? I
notice that not all formatting translates correctly. I know these are
only superficial but it's fairly important as a lot of swapping from
OO.o to M$ Office is going to happen.
2. Layouts in Writer. I use M$ Word mostly as a basic DP prog. So I do
a lot of complex layout like a text box here some text flowing round
it then a text box with 2 columns etc. How is this kind of layout
done in OO.o. Does it all have to be done with tables like a website?
3. Slight criticism over Impress. Powerpoint is a fairly easy to get
to grips with package I've found. I made my first simple slideshow
within about an hour and got stuck on virtually nothing the first time
I ever used it. I tried to make a similar slideshow in Impress and got
stuck on the first thing making a gradient backdrop using colors that
I choose. First it wasn't straightforward to even find how to set
backdrops. When I found it there were only preset gradients. I'm aware
that you can make your own but would it not be better to be able to
choose a preset gradient and then have a choice over what colours go
into that gradient within the same window? That would seem more
intuitive to me.
But all in all I like the look feel and power of Open Office and hope
to be using it for some time to come. Anything that competes and wipes
the floor with M$ gets points in my book.
I wish to see some sort of calendar app for OO.o on par with Outlook.
I hate Outlook as a mailer but quite like it as a notebook, addressbook
and calender. I have as yet never found a program that I like as much
for these components. So I can't fully get rid of M$ office until I
find a replacement for that.

That`s all for now

--

Other EMail:-                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ Nr:-  87314826     IRC Nicks:-  databug, MadMango
Homepage:-                http://www.mangomuzik.co.uk

Everybody is talking about the weather but nobody does anything about it.