I can report that I found the latest WinXP Java Runtime Environment (JRE) file by going to www.sun.com/ then to Java under products. This open up a 3-column table with product categories on the left, further explanations in the middle and download/info on the right. Choosing the category labeled "Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 1.4" the middle column describes it as SDK (standard developers kit) and JRE (Java Runtime Environment) for various O/S including Windows, which is the latest stable file. Clicking download on the right of it brings up a license agreement and after that the download choice is the first, title Windows Offline Installation. I first printed a two page installation Notes file and then downloaded the JRE file which is called j2re_1_4_2_08-windows-i586-p.exe by clicking on the down-arrow (pinwheel) right next to its full name. I had to download twice because the first time the download was not the total file length it was supposed to be, so that's essential. Once downloaded, double-clicking the executable file installs itself where it belongs and all OOo modules calling for it will find it.
My suggestion for future OOo improvements would be to either include the download link or else include a note at installation time explaining how to download and/or why it is not necessary and then prevent Base from calling for it.