I am using OpenOffice 1.1.0 Calc on a Red Had Linux Fedora Core 1 system. I save files in Excel format for sharing compatibility reasons. Some files have multiple sheets. Every once in awhile the tabs for the sheets do not appear on the bottom of the window and I must use EDIT=>Sheet=>Select or Control-PageUp/Control-Page-Down to navigate around. I can close the file and open it up again and it will then show the sheet tabs. It happens with different files. And infrequently enough I can not say it happens every x number of times. Occasionally closing the file and opening it up again will show them, at least once it took more than two iterations of closing and opening before they appeared again. I have not found a setting that control whether the sheet tabs should be displayed or not.