Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
Thank you for your mail
I am sorry. I found the Open Office Org. site, the download corner and there
the dictionaries (including the said "dictinstaller" where the downloaded
files are ONLY three gif images!), but I don't know any "wizard".
I also don't know what to do with your hint: <OOo>/share/dict/ooo.
Is that a directory, or an URL? How do you get there?
Entering that into the browser only leads to a dnserror.
A search for that particlar character string brought me to a site offering
German dictionaries, but there too are many "strings", "commands" or
whatever that is, that I do not understand at all.
Like:
Name : openoffice-dicts-German
Version : 2004.01.02  Vendor : Ark Open Source
Release : 1ark

Requires :
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/update-dictionary.lst
rpmlib(PayloadIsBzip2) <= 3.0.5-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
/bin/sh
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
openoffice

Does that mean, you HAVE TO BE a  computer crack with a lexical knowledge of
computer terms/commands otherwise unintelligible to ordinary people in order
to install a few dictionaries?
If that is the case I simply have to forsake any hope of finding
alternatives to Microsoft.

My sincere apologies for being so uneducated and asking such foolish
questions.
Thomas Blasejewicz

Hi Thomas

I'll try and be helpful. Do you have version 1.9.79?
The File-Wizards-Install new Dictionaries is broken in that version. This is fixed in 1.9.93 - the current snapshot version.

In 1.9.79 you can go to <OpenOffice_installation_directory>/share/dict/ooo/ directory and should find DicOOo.sxw which is an OpenOffice file with macros to connect to the net and find dictionaries. If you open this with OOo (OpenOffice.org) it should lead you through what you need.

May I suggest that you subscribe to [EMAIL PROTECTED] so you will see any and all replies.

Like many new things, a little perseverance pays off.

Russell