* CPHennessy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [180405, 22:30]:
> On Wednesday 13 April 2005 03:40, Art Fore wrote:
> > Have tried all versios up to the above version, have a file where a
> > column is numbers preceded by ' , selecting Format, then number, will
> > not change this to a number. his screws up someone using the file and
> > wanting to change the column to numbers to do a sum, either in Scalc, or
> > Excell. Any way to change format the column to numbers as advertized?
>
> HI Art,
>  In the above email it seems that you are trying to convert a "'" character
> a number ? Or can you clarify ?
>
> --
> CPH : openoffice.org contributor

Hi CPH and Art,
[I deleted Art's original post so I'm following up this one]

may be the OP has a column with figures preceded by a "'" character that
he cannot use as numbers. If this is the case, Art, what you can do is:
. Digit:  =value(A1) in the first cell of a free column (say "X") of your
  spreadsheet ("A" to be replaced by the actual letter of the column
  containing the 'string-numbers')
. You'll get the number corresponding to the 'string-number'
. point your mouse at the bottom right corner of cell X1 and drag it
  down until the end of your data in col "A": the value of cell X1 is
  thus copied to all other cells.
. Now your col X will contain all 'numbers' you can do calculations on.

HTH and there is a shorter way :-) [*]
Regards,
        Ennio.

--------
[*] BTW, I thougth it would be possible to search for that particular char:
tried with \', \x0027 (as indicated in Help/List of Regular
Expressions), \0x0027, .... to no avail ;(

--
[Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo.   \\?//
 Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!"  (diceva Henry Miller) ]    (°|°)