On Saturday, 23 April 2005 03:46, Andrew Cassels wrote:
> OpenOffice has two versions, the official release and the
> development version, If you want the newest features but accept a
> risk of having problems (bugs, things not working, ...) install the
> Beta 2.0, but if you want something that work's well, with less
> features but less problems then install the official release (the
> stable, version number 1.1.4)
>
> As you might know the ".com" is for "commercial", and openoffice is
> definitely not a commercial software (all the contrary) it is a
> free, open source (anyone can contribute or modify it) software.
> The ".org" is for "organisation", open office is definitely much
> more of an organisation that a commercial company, there is also
> the ".net" but that doesn't describe at all what sort of thing it
> is. I don't know if this is the real reason, but it is the most
> probable (I think).

I comes from internet domain names: .com for commercial
companies, .org for non-commercial organisations, .net for network
infrastructure companies like ISPs and so on.

The name "OpenOffice" is already taken by a South Korean company and
so can't be used for OOo. Therefore the OpenOffice.org name, which
very accurately describes exactly what it is.

alan

--
Alan McKinnon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]