I hope it is not bad form to reply to my own question,
namely,

> Can two beta versions be installed on the same machine?

I found the answer by carefully reading the "readme.txt"
included in the zip file I downloaded. The readme says the
beta can be installed along side of an *earlier version*.
not *1.1.4* as I thought.

My apology for unnecessarily adding to the traffic on this
mailing list.

You guys give good, useful answers to questions. Thanks!

David Teague,  http://cs.wcu.edu/~dbt
Advocating Free Software and Double Bass tuned in fifths
www.dennismasuzzo.com;  www.silviodallatorre.com
www.joelquarrington.com/;  For information on Red  Mitchell,
http://home.teleport.com/~mimuma/;  www.larryholloway.com