It does seem that the width= tag is added when a table is pasted from
www to OOo.  I'm not a html expert to know whether this addition makes
the html source more standards compliant or not - but that could be a
reason.

At the end of the day however I've also had no trouble altering the
size of the columns once they were in OOo. I certainly did not ave to
remove the added tags prior to resizing. I'm using OOo1.9.95 but have
also tried this in 1.1.4 and I had no issues with resizing the columns
graphically (with no need to remove any tags).

/paul