As you suggested, I tried and you are quite right - the default settings of the target document over-rode the default formatting of text pasted from the source document.

The template approach worked fine technically but for this particular situation it seems cumbersome. For example, in addition to the standard document template I also have a specific manuscript template (relatively short lines, double spaced, fixed width font, specific formatting (header / footer fields, eg.)) and yet another for letters. Getting regional settings down for editors and publishers is critical - a US editor does not want to see 'neighbour' and his/her UK counterpart would be out of sorts with 'realize' for 'realise'. Ergo not only would I need 3 standard templates, I would need 3 manuscript templates and 3 cover letter templates and Lord only knows what else. Don't forget we're talking about 3 audiences for 1 document.

Practically speaking it does seem easier to work from a single set of 3 templates, then Select All / Format - Character - Language x / Spell Check / Save As / Repeat for the next customer.

Is there some other advantage to the Templates that I'm unaware of?

Thanks,
Dom