For me it works ok (using winxp & 1.9.95). I turned off wizard (I've
got a distinctive default template setup which is very different than
the normal template) and then went to writer. I asked for a new
presentation and my default template opened up.

Haven't tried 1.1.4, but it could be that this functionality was
correct for Beta 2.0...

/paul