Helen wrote:
I'm writing a newsletter, and want to prevent some formatting that
seems to be happening automatically.

1) When I hit the return key to begin a new paragraph, I get a double space
that
I don't want.  This is the biggest frustration.

Helen: I suspect that this is due to the style that you are using for the paragraph being set up for a certain amount of space before and/or after each paragraph. Generally, this is good, to have some separation between paragraphs, but usually something less than the double space that you describe is better. I also do a newsletter, and I have the paragraph style set to give approximately half of the height of a regular line of type.

This is easy to change. Go to one of the paragraphs that you're talking about, right click anywhere in the paragraphs (as long as it isn't on a word that is shown as being misspelled), and select "Edit paragraph style". Click on the "Indents & Spacing" tab. Where it says Spacing Above paragraph and Below paragraph, change the distances to whatever you'd like. If you really want no spacing at all, set both values to zero.

Hope this helps.

I'm not familiar with your second problem, so someone else will need to give advice on that.

2) Also, a minor thing:  I'm putting a table into a frame, and the frame
insists
on leaving a large amount of white space above and below the table, taking
up more room.

I have gone to Tools > Options and changed everything that I thought might
be causing this, but can't seem to make it stop.   Item 1) is especially
important, and I'd appreciate some help.
Thanks,