Larry Evans wrote:

However, there should be a link from each of
these key names to their location of a keyboard; otherwise,
questions like mine arise on this list :(

Neither the operating system or OpenOffice.org normally knows or cares where a virtual key is located on the current keyboard. That’s all up to the keyboard driver routines. And even the keyboard driver routine doesn't know what is actually printed on the keys.

Perhaps more reasonably, the keys should be listed as “Page Up (Prior)” and “Page Down (Next)”.

So, the key combination has to be somewhere in the 'Shortcut Keys'
screen in order to set or change it's meaning.  I notice that
some keys in the 'Shortcut Keys' screen are blank, and I guess
if I don't want to change any existing keys, I choose one
of those.

Yes.

For example, with Category=Havgate, I see
Ctrl+Shift+Prior is blank; therefore, I can set this
to any existing key functions. OTOH, if I prefer Ctrl+Shift+Home,
for the function I want (e.g. 'Goto next input field' then
I'd have to do without the short cut to the existing
function associated with Ctrl+Shift+Home, i.e. 'Select to
Document Begin'.

Or you could shift that function somewhere else.