At 18:53 13/09/2008 +0000, Nobody Noname wrote:
For my test case, I'd like to sort rows by Column A using the following order: a,e,i,o,u,b,c,d,f,g,h,j,k,l,m,n,p,q,r,s,t,v,w,x,y,z

Ultimately, I'll need to sort a list that contains IPA (phonetic) unicode characters in an order different from what Calc's normal sort gives.

Is there any way to do this? I could do it in Perl or C, but I'd much rather do it in Calc and avoid all the potential import/export issues.

You can do something along this line:
o Type your characters (or strings) in your sort order into a column of a spreadsheet.
o  Select the list.
o Go to Tools | Options... | OpenOffice.org Calc | Sort Lists and press Copy and OK.
o  To sort material, go to Data | Sort ... .
o  On the Options tab, tick "Custom sort order" and select your created order.

This works quite well for individual characters or strings, but I'm not sure to what extent it works in the more general sense of sorting strings according to a character order. It seems not to.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker