jonathon wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 14:44, H.S.  wrote:
>
>> You are missing the point. Out of all those online document, please point to
>> even a single one which has Gujrati characters in its filename.
>
> AFAIK, મુખપૃષ્ઠ is a Gujurati word.  The word "મુખપૃષ્ઠ" is part of
> the file name of the page
> "http://gu.wiktionary.org/wiki/મુખપૃષ્ઠ";

Aha! I stand corrected. Last time I tried to use unicode in a URL, it
didn't work.

> Whether or not your browser will correctly render that page is a
> different issue.
>
>> Because the web page creator was aware of the limitations of the system and
>> knew Gujrati characters will not be entertained in the URLS yet.
>
> I can't read Gujurati, so I don't know when the first URLs containing
> Gujurati were created.  However, I was reading web pages whose URLs
> contained Chinese glyphs back in 1999.
>
> I ditched all of my 阿妹 links a couple of months ago, otherwise I'd
> supply URLs where the only thing that uses the Latin writing system is
> "http".   (Even the TDL was a Chinese character.)
>
>> because the creator was ware of the systems limitations unlike average joe
>> ignorant user.
>
> That would true, if, and only if the website creator is deliberately
> designing a website that works with broken web browsers that ignore
> all web standards.
>
>> Note that their URL is still only those limited set of ascii characters!
> That hasn't been true for at least a decade, and probably longer.

Ah, right. I think I missed making the distinction between the filename
and the top level domain. My bad. The filenames should work, but domain
names do not, at least not yet. Perhaps there's been progress, but I
haven't checked that in ages.

In any case, glad to know this is coming along nicely. Still, it doesn't
absolve a computer user from knowing practical limitations of a machine
and using common sense precautions. Invalid characters in filenames are
only part of the symptoms, there is a whole bunch of other bad practices
that should be avoided (I have given some examples in my earlier posts,
they were real examples!)

Regards.