James Elliott - WA Rural Computers wrote:
When I saved a Calc spreadsheet in Excel format to send to my Accountant, the SUMPRODUCT formulas did not work because a Calc formula like this:

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A3000; B1:B3000)
was converted to :
=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A3000, B1:B3000)
ie semicolons ";" replaced with commas ","
but Excel wanted it in this format:
=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A3000)*( B1:B3000))

How did it "not work" in Excel? Did you get an error; if so, what was it? Did you get the wrong answer, or something else?

What suggested to you that Excel wanted the other syntax?

As far as I know, SUMPRODUCT works the same way in both Excel and Calc, and the syntax with comma-separated arguments is correct for Excel, so I'm wondering how/why that would generate an error in Excel.

The alternative using an explicit multiplication is just another way to do the same calculation, like writing SUM(3+3+3) instead of SUM(3;3;3), so the difference must be something subtle.

<Joe