2008/9/20 Johnny Rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Distro=Ubuntu 8.04
> OpenOffice.org, latest RC (downloaded today from the Openoffice.org site).
>
> I unpacked, opened a virtual terminal, went to the directory with all the
> debs, then did sudo dpkg -i *deb
> It installed fine.
>
> I wanted to intall it alongside the 2.4.1 version, and when I click the
> ordinary Office icon, for example the Calc icon, the old 2.4.1 starts.
> That's fine, that's exactly what I want to happen, but how do I start the
> new 3.0 RC? I just can't find it… and I don't even know where to start
> looking. Tried "whereis" but I only found the 2.4.1 version.
>
> J.R.

presume that you, like me, are running a Swedish version of Hardy, if not
use the English equivalents) ? If so, you can put the new icon (looks like a
bouncing spring) on your panel by right-clicking it and then choosing «Lägg
in a terminal and see what you get - presumably something like
«/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin». Test this command in your
terminal to confirm that it does, indeed, open OOo 3.0 RC1. If so, you can
add it to your Gnome menu by following the instructions found on this Ubuntu
Geek page (http://preview.tinyurl.com/49ua5n), and then those above to put
the icon on your panel....

Henri