From: Guy Voets [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 1:57 AM
To: users@openoffice.org
Cc: Beth Moser
Subject: Re: [users] can't access Open Office?

2008/9/29 Beth Moser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I'm a Mac user, and have had no problems accessing Open Office..until now.
> start X11, then launch Open Office, and nothing happens. I can't open any
> .odt docs, I can't start a new doc, I just get the "command timed out" (as
> usual), hit Ok, but then it seems to stall & nothing happens. Last night I
> re-downloaded the latest Mac version of Open Office, dragged it to my
> applications, and have tried to open several times w/ no success.

Hello Beth,

The newest Mac OS X Leopard update 10.5.5 seems to make problems with
X11(and also with pdf files...)
There was a way to work around for the 'timed out' message, but I'm not sure
it will work with the new 10.5.5 problems:
X11 Time out solution:
http://shaunmcdonald131.blogspot.com/2008/03/ooo-possible-fix-for-command-ti
med-out.html
The Mac porting team was working on a patch or something, but I don't know
how far that's advanced...
so...

I propose that you install the Release Candidate 3 of the Aqua version of
OpenOffice.org. That version doesn't need the X11 windowing utility.
You can download the RC3 from GoodDay:
http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/3.0.0rc2/
Which file to chose?
Do you have an Intel or a PowerPC Mac?
You download the US English version - that's the one without language
indication (OOo_3.0.0rc2_MacOSXIntel_install.dmg or ...PPC_install.dmg),
or the language version of you choice (install_xx.dmg) - don't download the
SDK (Software Developers Kit)

Download, doubleclick to open the dmg, then drag the program to your
applications folder.
You can drag the OOo icon from the Applications folder (in Finder) to your
Dock for easy access.

The final tested&approved version of OOo 3.0.0 Aqua for Mac will be ready in
a few weeks.
The RC probably still has some bugs, so it's advisable to save you work
regularly.

HTH
--
Guy
using dutch OOo Aqua 3.0.0 RC3 on a iMac Intel DualCore Tiger