In short - yes.  OOo will allow formatting that when saved as .rtf (or
any other non OOo format) may be lost.

My $0.02 worth on the whole subject (and no I've not read the article
yet) is that a file format that is purely textual and formatted is the
best choice. OOo native format is just that. Even if OOo suddenly
dissappears in 10 years time (assuming there will still be a text
editor of course) you can still read your files.

/paul