Top posting.

I suggest having a look at the getting started guide in the wiki:
http://ext.openoffice.org.nz

In brief:
Macros can be stored in a document (when creating the macro, specify a
library within a currently open document) or in libraries that are
OpenOffice.org wide. These libraries can be for individual use or
shared. For the location of these libraries see Tools > Options >
OpenOffice.org > Paths > BASIC.

Libraries can be copied by:
Tools > Macros > Macro...
Organizer...
Libraries tab > Append...
Navigate to the document or folder for the library
In the case of the folder for an OpenOffice.org library you select
either of .xlb files (it doesn't matter which)
Click Open
Select desired libraries > Ok

I have not tried setting a BASIC path to removable media, and tried
starting OpenOffice.org with the media missing (which would be
possible/likely?) with storing them on a USB drive. If you do try this I
would be interested in the result.

Hope this helps, thanks Ian