On 05/10/2008 01:34, NoOp wrote:

<snip>

newsreader a try instead of using the email list. That way you won't
receive any list email, but can easily read and post via most any proper
newsreader (Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, etc., I don't know what Earthlink
uses). You only need to point your newsreader to the link provided on
the http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html
<quote>
For those who prefer to use newsgroups rather than e-mail mailing lists,
there are the Gmane newsgroups. For more information on Gmane, contact
Gmane. To correspond via newsgroups, you can use open-source
command-line clients, Mozilla, or many other clients. The Gmane server
address is:

    * news.gmane.org
</quote>

This list is: news://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.openoffice.questions

NoOp, please why does gmane help with this? I just subscribed and I got exactly the same number of rubbish (Kaye Evans etc.) messages as I got via e-mail. I really don't understand the benefit of using gmane. Except that it doesn't interfere with other mail traffic but I use a special address for this list that I don't use for anything else.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England