2008/10/2 Bonnie Bates Yahoo! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hello,
>
> All of a sudden Open Office does not work on my macbook anymore.  I have
> used it up to yesterday, made no changes on my computer (no software or
> operating system updates).  It just stopped opening up, gives me the (usual)
> command timed out prompt after which it used to open.
> Can you help me or direct me to someone who can?  I am just a user, I am
> not a computer genius and I really couldn't find where to go on the numerous
> pages and extremely long and technical manuals available for self help.
>
> I would really appreciate some kind of guidance, thanks.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bonnie Bates

Hello Bonnie,
>From a previous post:

The newest Mac OS X Leopard update 10.5.5 seems to make problems with
X11(and also with pdf files...)
There was a way to work around for the 'timed out' message, but I'm not sure
it will work with the new 10.5.5 problems:
X11 Time out solution:
http://shaunmcdonald131.blogspot.com/2008/03/ooo-possible-fix-for-command-timed-out.html
and people from the Mac porting team were working on a solution, but I don't
know how far they got.
so...

I propose that you install the Release Candidate 2 of the Aqua version of
OpenOffice.org. That version doesn't need the X11 windowing utility.
You can download the RC2 from GoodDay:
http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/3.0.0rc2/
Which file to chose?
Do you have an Intel or a PowerPC Mac?
You download the US English version - that's the one without language
indication (OOo_3.0.0rc2_MacOSXIntel_install.dmg or ...PPC_install.dmg),
or the language version of you choice (install_xx.dmg) - don't download the
SDK (Software Developers Kit)

Download, doubleclick to open the dmg, then drag the program to your
applications folder.
You can drag the OOo icon from the Applications folder (in Finder) to your
Dock for easy access.

The final tested&approved version of OOo 3.0.0 Aqua for Mac will be ready in
a few weeks.
The RC probably still has some bugs, so it's advisable to save you work
regularly.

HTH
--
Guy
using dutch OOo Aqua 3.0.0 RC3 on a iMac Intel DualCore Tiger