John Boyle wrote:
Barbara Duprey wrote:
Trent Petersen wrote:
My name is Trent Petersen, and I am considering using your software. I looked through your FAQ's and could not find the answer I was looking for. Hopefully someone can help me. My question is: Is your software compatible with Microsoft Office? I want to know if I type up a research paper using your software and upload it to my school (online) which uses Microsoft Office, will they be able to open the file and vice-versa? Thank you for your time.

There is very good, but not perfect, compatibility between OpenOffice.org and Microsoft Office. If you use Writer (the part of OOo that corresponds to Word) to create the paper, you can send it to the school in several different ways:

   * As a PDF file. OOo makes this very easy, and it's the recommended
     format if they don't need to make changes.
   * In OOo's native .odt format that conforms to the ISO standard ODF
     definition. For them to deal with it, they will need either OOo or
     the plugin (available from Sun Microsystems) that allows MS Office
     to understand these formats. Both OOo and the plugin are free.
   * If necessary, you can save the document in .doc format using the
     Save As capability and send that. Most current versions of OOo
     don't yet support the .docx format native to Office 2007 (though
     that will be changing very soon), so if they are sending material
     to you they should save as the older .doc format. Some complex
formatting may not translate well, and macros are not directly usable.

Both the PDF version and the .doc version can also be created "on the fly" and sent as e-mail directly from Writer.

To Users: Will the next release really simplify the problem with MSFT documents? I have cousin who sends me said documents and I have not been able to read them with ver. 2.4.1. :-) :-(

John

Yes it does. also the Ubuntu version of 2.4.1 also reads the MSoft formats.

Why not download 3.0 rc3 and see. It can run alongside 2.4.1

Rob