From: "Dave Barton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: web at work <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:17:07 -0400

Here is a question.
I have a Bible file in a OTL type of file.
It is an Outline Text type of document.
<snip>

SO can anyone help?
Anyone used OTL files before?
Anyway to get OOo to have one "frame" show the Outline Headings
and another to show the text of that "outlined section"?

Tim L.  (web at work)
who lost all of my DOS books (and much more references) in my last move.

OTL is the file extension that Eric G.V. Fookes (Fookes Software) chose
to identify the "OuTLine" feature he built into the NoteTab software.
These are just plain text, with no embedded formatting codes in the true
sense. Other than the presence of the first line in an OTL file and the
equal sign, used as a tag by the NoteTab software, there is nothing
special about these text files. In fact if you open one in any other
plain text editor (eg. Windows Notepad), remove just the first line
(eg." = V4 Outline MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30") and save it,
NoteTab will open it as it would any other plain text file, with no side
panel.

The side panel displaying the headings/"Books" is hard coded into
NoteTab. So there is no reason why OOo, or any other software should
display these files as anything other than plain text. Unless, for some
reason, that other software is emulating NoteTab.

I have a few ideas how something similar might be replicated in Writer
and somebody (not me), with the necessary skills, could possibly even
write an otl to odt converter. However, I don't see this as an award
winning feature for OOo.

Dave

So I lucked out with reading them in the proper program after all.
I do like the Outline Headings displayed in the left site panel.  I would
love to be able to use some printing software to make a PDF file that
includes the Outline Headings. PDF's can have chapter outlines, etc., but I never learned how to make them.

That is the feature that I like. over 1500 printed pages and they are indexed/outlined for easier use and/or viewing. Great Idea.

The strange thing, since the OTL file was created for NoteTab, was
the fact that that file format was not associated with NoteTab [light]
and I had to "make it associate with" it after it was able to be opened
by NoteTab.  Well I have seen stranger.

Thanks for the help.

ALSO at least this list email got through.  It seems my service
is randomly bouncing some of these list-emails back to the list-server
system. I get that notice once a week or more. My service puts the blame on the list-server, not their email server that is
bouncing the emails back as unwanted or unable to be delivered.

Thanks everyone.
This is still a great place to get information.
Plus Version 3.0 is a great product, and faster to load
than 2.x.  Slower to get its first screen up vs. Word, but
then it takes 2-3 minutes before Word lets me ask it to
open a file or type in new stuff.  OOo/writer does not make
we wait that long to start working.

Tim L.
retired, but working harder now than ever.
plus burning 30-50 OO 3.0 cd this past week
and more next week for those dialup users locally.
Free of charge or a donation to the cause.