I solved the problem - - I purchased Microsoft Word - more people have that on
their computer.  Thanks.

--- On Wed, 10/29/08, Harold Fuchs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From: Harold Fuchs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [users] Question re: attaching documents done in Open Office to
emails
To: users@openoffice.org, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 5:46 AM

2008/10/27 Sandra Cronander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have the program on my computer and created a Word document.  I attached it
to an email, but those who received it couldn't open the document.

Could you explain why or how I can get around that problem?

How *exactly* did you create the Word document? Simply saving your work as
"thingy.doc" isn't sufficient. What you'd get is a document in OpenOffice
format but with a Word extension.

Instead you need to use File>Save As and then choose the relevant Word format
from the drop-down list of available types. You also need to ensure that the
little "Automatic file name extension" box is ticked (checked). Having doe this
you'll have a document in Word format and with a Word extension. Your
respondents should now be able to read your document.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England