I do have the latest version. I guess this is one of those cases where NeoOffice takes more advantage of the Aqua platform, as it uses the same icons regardless of how you decide to save the document. It registers (for lack of a bettert term) the finder to use the icon for the program that is listed to open the program by default. I noted a couple of reviews somewhere that said even the native aqua 3.0 did not fully take advantage of some mac features.
But after the document loads, I love it!