At 17:25 04/11/2008 -0800, Thuy Ta wrote:
I have a question about using open office spread sheet. [...] It is when I type, for example, 3.3.3 into one cell of a sheet, it changed into 03/03/03 (mean March 03rd 2003).
I tried many ways to change it to 3.3.3 but I can't.

There are two ways to avoid this.  Either:

o Format the cells as Text before entering the values. (Go to Format | Cells... .)

o Enter an apostrophe before typing the data. The apostrophe does not appear in the cell, but just indicates that the data should be interpreted as text and suppresses the automatic recognition of dates. Note that if you have Custom Quotes set up, the apostrophe will itself be corrected into a smart quote and this will prevent it being recognised properly. To avoid this, either press Ctrl+Z (or go to Edit | Undo) immediately after typing the apostrophe each time (which undoes the correction to smart quote but does not remove the apostrophe) or go to Tools | AutoCorrect... | Custom Quotes and remove the tick from Replace under "Single quotes" once (which suppresses the unwanted correction).

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker