At 09:35 08/11/2008 +0900, Michael Turner wrote:
Is there an option or manual setting that will allow the disabling (turn off) the WELCOME window when Open Office is first started?

Yes and no. (You get this window every time you start OpenOffice, in fact - not just the first time.)

I really don't need this window.

Actually, I think you do: if you have chosen to start OpenOffice in a way that produces this window, it cannot know what you want to do next Without mind-reading, then, it needs you to select one of the options it provides.

There are three ways to start OpenOffice, I think. (I mean with three different results, not just different techniques: there are more than three of those.)

o If you want to open an existing document, the simplest way is probably to find and double-click that document. This way, you will see the welcome screen only briefly; you have my full permission to avert your eyes if you would rather not see it.

o If you want to start OpenOffice and to create a blank document of a particular type, there are entry points to allow this. I see that you are using Windows. Go to Start | All Programs > | OpenOffice.org 3.0, and select the type of new document you wish to create (Writer for text, Calc for spreadsheet, etc.) or right-click the Quickstarter icon (unless you have disabled the Quickstarter) and do likewise there. You will not see the welcome screen. If you prefer, you can create desktop shortcuts for any of these All Programs entry points by right-clicking them and selecting Send To > | Desktop (create shortcut). Alternatively, you may prefer right-click | Pin to Start menu (to do what that says).

o There are a few remaining circumstances in which you may want to start OpenOffice without yet declaring what you wish to do next. In that case, the default desktop shortcut (new in version 3) will indeed lead you to the welcome screen, where you can make your choice. I cannot see that its presence delays the starting of OpenOffice or what you need to do next; if you prefer, you really don't need to look at it. Note that you do not need to use the options in the centre of the welcome screen, as some menus are alternatively available: File | New >, File | Recent Documents >, and so on may be useful

It also makes sense to have this screen if you close all documents without closing the program itself: again, OpenOffice needs to know what you want to do next and the welcome screen is a useful way of displaying this.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker