2008/11/14 NoOp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On 11/13/2008 02:26 PM, M Henri Day wrote:
>

> >> 1. What extensions do you have installed?

> > extensions. Am I missing something ?
>
> Apparently if OOo is prompting you for and Extension update. But what is
> causing it is a mystery to me if you have no extensions installed.
> Perhaps it is the &@^%#$ default dictionaries that OOo 3.0 seem
> determined to install as root. You can remove those stupid things, but
> you must run as superuser/root to do it:
>
> sudo /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice
>
> That will open as superuser/root and then you can click on
> Tools|Extension Manager and just remove them. Note: I use the English
> one, but after removing via root, I then reinstall as a user so I don't
> have to worry about it any further.

Even if I open as superuser/root, I still find no extensions when I look in
French, Spanish dictionaries, which, according to Larry are installed by
default. Of sheer necessity, I happen to have a lot of dictionaries
installed, but all in Ubuntu Intrepid ; I have not installed any in OOo....

> >> 2. What do you have set for your default browser?
> >> System|Preferences|Preferred Applications
> >

> > I previously had the Swiftweasel command installed, but when I started
> > receiving these messages, I changed to Firefox to see if that would
> resolve
> > the problem. It did not.
>
> Perhaps try logging out and then back in will work.

Have done so - no joy....

> Thanks, Gary, for your speedy response ! I've noticed that the latest OOo
> 3.0 version from the download pages seems to be 3.0.0-18 ; would you
suggest
> that I try to install that (not the simplest process in the world, given
> that I'm running an AMD 64 X machine) ? Before writing to the forum I
tried
> to resolve my problem by installing the LinuxX86-64_install_sv_deb.tar.gz
> package after uninstalling my present setup, but the resulting package
> didn't work. I suspect that the Swedish package does not contain all the
> requisite packages and that it must be installed on top of a
> LinuxX86-64_install_en_US_deb.tar.gz package. Are am I barking up the
wrong
> tree ?...

>Well, if you really want to go to the edge you can try the 3.1 dev:
>http://download.openoffice.org/680/?intcmp=1461<http://download.openoffice.org/680/?intcmp=1461>
>[Note: I've not tried this myself yet...]

I'll pass on this one for the moment, but if and when you try it, I'd love
to hear about the results !...

>I'm not sure where you are getting 3.0.0-18 from, perhaps that is a
>64bit thing. OOo 3.0 32bit is 3.0.0-9. They probably found it clever to
>double the 9 for 18 given that 64 is double 32.

The denomination «3.0.0-18» is what I saw in Synaptic after installing the
localised version «LinuxX86-64_install_sv_deb.tar.gz» (which, as I wrote
above, didn't work)....

>LinuxX86-64_install_sv_deb.tar.gz  is a localized version:
>http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Office/OpenOffice.org/localized/sv/3.0.0/<http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Office/OpenOffice.org/localized/sv/3.0.0/>
>so I guess you'd need to check on the Swedish list to see if others are
>having problems with that package. I'd recommend putting the original US
>version back in - it is buildid=300m9(Build:9358) on 32 bit - you can
>check your version from a terminal by:

>cat /opt/openoffice.org3/program/versionrc

Luckily, after uninstalling the «300m9» packages for both the en_US and sv
versions, I retained them in the trash, and thus was able to reinstall them
after my failure with a new download, but before initiating this thread.
This is what I see after running the check above in a terminal :

[Version]
AllLanguages=en-US
buildid=300m9(Build:9358)
ExtensionUpdateURL=
http://updateext.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
OOOBaseVersion=3.0
ProductBuildid=9358
ProductMajor=300
ProductMinor=9
ProductPatch=
ProductSource=OOO300
UpdateID=OpenOffice.org_3_en-US
UpdateURL=
http://update30.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update?pkgfmt=deb
UpdateUserAgent=<PRODUCT> (${buildid}; ${_OS}; ${_ARCH};
BundledLanguages=${AllLanguages})